In keeping with our “whole child” approach to education, we’ve engaged the services of Dr. Ellen Fithian to help Veritas students develop their academic and extracurricular interests and chart a course to college and beyond.
Dr. Fithian has a Ph.D. in education from the College of William and Mary, where her major emphasis was in gifted education. She spent a semester interning in the admissions office there and also served as the Director of Precollegiate Learner Programs at the Center for Gifted Education. She has been providing individual college planning services to families since 2004 and has been College Planning Coordinator at the Governor’s School for Science and Technology since 2008.
Dr. Fithian will be meeting with each student to craft a Customized Academic Plan (CAP), which will include:
- Reviewing academic progress at Veritas and conferring with faculty to address any difficulties
- Mapping out a timeline and preparation strategy for standardized testing
- Exploring resources at school, in the community, and beyond to nurture the student’s extracurricular interests
- Assisting students with finding colleges that are a good academic and financial match
- Helping students prepare and polish their applications.
Dr. Fithian welcomes the involvement of parents and hopes she will have the opportunity to engage all of you in your child’s planning. Mrs. Cavazos will notify you when Dr. Fithian is working with students at your child’s grade level.
We are excited to welcome Dr. Fithian to the Veritas family and believe her talent development approach to college planning will fit perfectly within our mission to help each child fully develop all of his or her God given gifts.
Dr. Fithian also publishes a free informational website about college planning for parents called The Sidelines: Parent Guide to College Admissions. Check it out at www.sidelinesguide.com.